Monday, June 28, 2010

domino chameleon (Self portrait)

 Many of my works have the possibity of aggression, because of my higher thoughts, caffine intake and the speed at which the art is completed in, etc. This work for example was done around the year 2000, UMD, I was in a state of awe and trying to show where I've been and subsequently where I'm going. There were no internal conflicts in me- then. The colors used are "straight from the tube" meaning pure, unadulterated color. Purple, yellow, gold, black green and white; are the dominant colors I use in this work. Emotion is the dominant vehicle I use in painting, thoughts, feelings and beliefs all circle around me as I work.  All my work shows the same sence of disipline, keep your-self (external thoughts, feelings, beliefs) out of the painting, or your work will get so muddied up no one can appeciate looking at it. This work I own ,after selling to Tweed, I traded a "new" self-portrait" for it. I could tell you the exact date it was done in, but it's of no consequece, per our discussion.Charcoal was used. Was Van Gogh a successful artist? Well, that depends on how you view success. To make $, or to make a dent in the art world. Life is just a test.  How well you do depends on several factors, such as what you do, what you try to do, and how successful you are at it.(among others).  I've had great accomplishments in my life, but am still going strong. Sold work to the Tweed, professors, individuals, restaurants and buisinesses. And how about you? This work  Domimo Cameleon is called that because not many people know what a skink is. I completed this work after going down the Green River(2 weeks) Utah, desert and encountering these 3" long lizards(skink) that caught flies, and being reptillian and lightning fast, the only time I was able to capture one on film was in the morning sunning itself, still. They were beautiful, in thier own little dance, as not to be caught and yet detect thier next meal. I tuned it into a self-portait after I obtained it from the Tweed. Sometimes you don't know what a great thing is until it's gone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! It feels almost in motion and musical. I like the colors. They seem Native American.

Anonymous said...

Erik,

You gave me your card a couple months ago and I've only now got around to looking up examples of your work. I must say you have a talent I did not expect.

I particularly like this abstract.

I'm not competent to offer artistic commentary but I have an observation that you may take any way you please. Your self portraiture suggests a certain violence. I think it comes from your brash and bold brush strokes as well as the stark colors you've chosen to paint with. As you seem like a rather mild person personally I can't help but wonder if the violence I imagine in your paintings reflects internal conflict or if it is more a demonstration of your theatrical flair for the dramatic.

Being able to provoke people to guess at such questions is a sign of success whether you sell much or not. I think Van Gogh (another artist who painted a lot of self portraits) only sold a handful of his work and most of that to his brother.